Wednesday 11 June 2014

Anniversary's and Gretna Green.




On Wednesday it was Craig and I's two year anniversary. We had both taken time off work and decided to take a trip down to Gretna for an overnight - no wedding jokes please! We chose to stay at The Smiths Hotel which is situated just across the road from The Famous Blacksmiths. The hotel itself it absolutely beautiful, I can honestly say one of the loveliest places I have stayed. We managed to upgrade our room to The Ash Suite and I would honestly recommend it to anyone to do so. I have never walked into a room and went 'Wow' before, that is how breathtaking it was. We had ordered a package as part of the room so we had cocktails on arrival (they weren't exactly on arrival,it took a few phone calls to reception and the worlds most monosyllabic receptionist to finally get them but we got there in the end!). Candles were all lit, rose petals on the bed, magic FM on the tv, it really was something special.



We booked dinner in the restaurant for eight o'clock, although didn't get seated until twenty to nine for who knows what reason as there was only two tables in said restaurant. The service wasn't on top form considering the few tables there but the food was certainly on point! Nothing better than complimentary bread to start - may I add warm bread! - and a speciality sent from the chef (I think they could sense my annoyance). I have to say it was one of the best meals I have ever ate, hats off to the chef! I started with a cheese souffle and then had a beef platter of oxtail (which was the first time I had ever tried and it was unbelievable!), fillet steak and haggis - DELISH! As previously said, although the meal was outstanding, the service was not. We waited half an hour trying to catch someones attention for the bill and ended up having to get a member of staff who didn't even work the restaurant to get us it. The table beside us, an elderly man and wife, asked for a bottle of wine 40 minutes  previous and it still hadn't appeared, eventually cancelled the wine and ordered coffees instead and were still waiting when we left around half an hour later. Poor.



Dress: Karen Millen
Shoes: Kurt Geiger
Lipstick: Mac Morange

Outfit wise, Craig bought me these beautiful shoes from Kurt Geiger for our anniversary. Nude shoe boots with an ankle strap - which I love as ankle straps make A. shoes more comfortable to wear and B. shoes more stable, which is exactly what I need as I am Calamity Jane! I packed this Karen Millen number I got back in December for my Christmas, can't go wrong with an LBD. It has a gorgeous ribbed middle and a zip (not sure for it's purpose) and flares out at the bottom, my favourite style! I loved the contrast of the pink sole from my shoes against the black, added some colour and fun to the look!


Overall, we were both so impressed with the room and food at The Smiths we will definitely be making another visit at some point in the future! However, the service was not up to the standard of the hotel, which is such a shame as there are so many positives and so much potential!

Have you ever been to The Smiths?

Lori x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Skimlinks Test