Friday 9 May 2014

What Happened To Good Customer Service?

Who has been a very bad blogger lately? That would be me! I have been severely lacking inspiration for blog posts of late and having had no time to take good photos of products for review/ outfit posts - damn bad lighting. Then after experiencing what could possibly the world's worst customer service from a very highly regarded department store - I won't be naming said store or counter involved (I'm really not that petty). I felt completely compelled to write a complaint to the store, which is something I have never done before, about the service (or lack of) I received and then decided to let all you lovely readers know of my experience too. Oh, they messed with the wrong blogger!

Working, not only on a makeup counter, but in customer services myself, I know what standards are expected and unfortunately I don't feel all counters believe the same. I recently attended a beauty event in a well regarded beauty store with my Mum. We were very much looking forward to it! Girls night out, mother/ daughter time, drinking champagne and buying lots of lovely new products - what's not to love? At the event we spent a small fortune between us (oops!) and were given two luxury goodie bags (fyi. these were given to the first however many customers after a £100 spend), as you can imagine we was grinning from ear to ear. There were a few cracking items but unfortunately, in my goodie bag was a full sized bottle of a very highly regarded (and expensive) brand to which the shade was around 30 shades (literally!) too dark for my alabaster skin tone. On asking to change this shade for a lighter one I was point blank refused and spoken to so incredibly rudely that I decided to leave the event - May I also add this was a manager whom I spoke with. 

After leaving and returning to the car we discovered that we hadn't received our products from another counter - as you can imagine steam was blowing out of my ears - and so I had to (hastily) return. On entering the store for a second time that night, I was then subject to said manager announcing so loudly to her colleagues that 'that girl' had returned to which they all turned around to look and watched me walk the full length of the store and back. I was left feeling completely unwelcome and humiliated and for what? Having spent a fortune in their store and asking to change a shade that was clearly no use to me? I know for a fact that if it were my counter it would be changed for the customer straight away and without the attitude! 

This left me thinking, what has happened to service with a smile? Had I asked to refund the foundation or exchange it for a completely different item then I could understand the refusal. However, having to spend a large amount to receive the bag and for it to be of absolute waste I honestly can't see how I was treated in such a disgusting way. Where was the understanding or customer care we all look for? The help or understanding we expect from those serving the public.

It's no wonder that there is such a bad stigma around girls who work on makeup counters - trust me, we aren't all snobby and/or ignorant! They certainly aren't where I work. I had never experienced such bad service from anywhere in my life and could never understand the comments I've read time and time again about snooty sales assistants. Sadly for them they have lost a very loyal and regular customer and I will be taking my services to somewhere more deserving.

Have you experienced horrible customer service?


Lori x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Skimlinks Test